Rules and Procedures – Michelin Challenge Design for 2013
Michelin North America, Inc. (“Michelin”) is proud to announce the annual Michelin Challenge Design to celebrate, promote, publicize and give visibility to original creative thinking and innovation in vehicle design. By embracing and supporting design, Michelin aims to establish a closer relationship with the design community, combining technical innovation with transportation design to create vehicles that consumers want to buy and will enjoy driving. Michelin challenges the international design community,
individuals, small and large companies and universities, to enthusiastically create innovative and aesthetically pleasing design solutions that will meet the theme requirements of the Michelin Challenge Design 2013:
HALF! Lightweight with a Passion
Designers create the inspirational forms that drive desire for vehicle ownership, but they will also contribute to lightweight vehicle development through materials choices and using the most effective manufacturing techniques. Successful design relies on closer cooperation between design, engineering, manufacturing and planning than ever before.
Participants are asked to explore lightweight vehicle development by designing a family vehicle capable of transporting between four and six people, meeting consumer demands for safety and comfort, usable on the current road infrastructure, and production feasible using materials, powertrain solutions, or manufacturing solutions that are in use today or in development for use in the foreseeable future.
Michelin is looking for exciting and passionate designs that employ innovative vehicle architecture for weight reduction, without compromising safety or comfort. The vehicle’s lightweight characteristics must extend to the tire/wheel assembly, including dimensional specifications and visual detail of the tire/wheel assembly.
• Michelin Challenge Design is open to residents of any country. Parents or legal guardians of entrants less than the age of majority in their state, province or country must sign the MCD Questionnaire and the MCD Entry Form. Michelin Challenge Design is void where prohibited by law. All entries for the Michelin Challenge Design must be received by June 1 of the previous year.
• Employees of Michelin, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, officers, directors, distributors, suppliers, agents, representatives, advertising, promotional or judging agencies, authorized Michelin tire dealers and distributors, and their immediate family members and those living in the same household, or anyone working on this project, are not eligible to participate.
• By participating you agree to be bound by the Rules and Procedures of this challenge and by the decisions of the Michelin Challenge Design Jury and of Michelin, whose decisions shall be final and binding in all respects. Any entries or displays may be withdrawn or declined for any reason at any time.
• Entrants must include all data and information and fulfill all requirements as required by the Michelin Challenge Design Rules and Procedures and Entry Form in order for the entry to be valid. Entrants must provide all data and information that is accurate and complete. If more than one person designed an entry, all designer names must appear on the “Designer(s) Name(s)” portion of the Michelin Challenge
Design Entry Form.
• Student designers who are working with an engineering department, at a university, are required to take the lead role in the development of any submitted work. This means that the designer has final say to all technical questions that will have an impact on the functional and aesthetic result of the design work. III. How to Enter
• No purchase necessary to participate.
• Completed entries will be accepted via Mail, Fax or Internet.
• For Internet entries, visit http://www.michelinchallengedesign.com and complete and submit the online Michelin Challenge Design Entry Form with all accompanying required materials.
• For mail entries, visit http://www.michelinchallengedesign.com and complete and print the Michelin Challenge Design Entry Form PDF file and mail it to: Michelin Challenge Design, c/o Event Management Corp., 3150 Livernois, Suite # 175, Troy, MI 48083
• For fax entries, visit http://www.michelinchallengedesign.com and complete and print the Michelin
Challenge Design Entry Form PDF file and fax it and all accompanying required materials to 248-687-
• Entry forms must be accompanied by photographs, drawings and/or computer-generated images.
• Incomplete entry forms are subject to disqualification.
• All Entry Forms must be received by Michelin or its designee on or before June 1, 2012.
V. Evaluations Procedures/Criteria
• The Michelin Challenge Design Jury will be evaluating entries based on the following:
– Relevance to the theme.
– Concept originality.
– Design value and quality.
– Developmental potential.
– Design displayability.
• Final evaluation will take place in August 2012, and those chosen to display will be notified shortly
thereafter. Decisions of the Michelin Challenge Design Jury and Michelin are final.
VI. Participant Verification
• Michelin and/or its authorized agents retain the right to verify the identity of, eligibility of, and accuracy of
information supplied by all individuals or groups who have entered Michelin Challenge Design.
• MCD Registration/Entry Form October 1, 2011 – June 1, 2012
• MCD Entry Form/Design Submissions Deadline June 1, 2012
• MCD Entry Notification August 2012
• Confirmation from Finalists September 2012
• Deadline for Receipt of Display Properties October 15, 2012
Please note the dates above are subject to change.
• Michelin will directly notify those chosen to display properties for the Michelin Challenge Design.
• The names of those chosen to display will be posted online at: www.michelinchallengedesign.com. IX. Use of Selected Property/Ownership Policy
• Conditions of participation: Those chosen to display will be required to sign and return an Affidavit of
Eligibility, a Liability Release, and, where legal, a Publicity Release within 14 days of notification. For
those chosen to display who are less than the age of majority in their state, province or country, the
affidavit and release(s) must be signed by the participant’s parent or legal guardian. In the event of non-
compliance with these requirements, the chosen entry will be disqualified and an alternate will be chosen
at Michelin’s discretion.
• All chosen entries will be recognized on www.michelinchallengedesign.com.
• Submissions remain the property of the entrants; however, by entering, all entrants agree to permit
Michelin to use their entries, names or likeness, for Michelin advertising/marketing materials in perpetuity
and for any and all purposes including but not limited to reproduction, distribution, and public display of
any such entry, name or likeness. Entrants also agree that Michelin may use of their names and
likenesses for purposes of advertising, trade show use and promotion without additional compensation,
unless prohibited by law.
• By entering, participants release and hold harmless Michelin, its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors,
officers, employees and agents from any and all liability or injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising
from or in connection with participation in this challenge or acceptance or use in any prize.
• Registered trademarks, e.g., logos, must not be utilized in or on the Design Entry without prior written
permission of the owner of the trademark.
X. No Liability
• No responsibility or liability is assumed by Sponsor, its affiliates, subsidiaries, agents or representatives,
or anyone working on this project: for lost, late, misdirected, illegible, or mutilated entries or any other
such events that may occur; or for technical, hardware or software failure of any kind, for lost network
connection or for garbled computer transmissions. If for any reason, programs are not capable of running
as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, and unauthorized intervention, fraud,
technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor which corrupt or affect
administration, security, fairness, integrity, or discretion, Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, terminate,
modify or suspend the Promotion. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error, omission,
interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or
destruction or unauthorized access to, alteration of entries. Sponsor is not responsible for any problems
or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, computer
equipment, software, failure of any e-mail to be received by Sponsor on account of technical problems,
human error or traffic congestion on the Internet or any Web site, or any combination thereof, including
any injury or damage to the participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from
participation or downloading any materials in this promotion. If for any reason your submission cannot be
viewed or is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer viruses, bugs, tampering,
unauthorized intervention, fraud or technical failures, Sponsor assumes no responsibility. Sponsor is not
responsible for any problems or technical malfunctions.
• Michelin Challenge Design is governed by the laws of the United States.
• In consideration for display properties, those chosen to display will be eligible for recognition on the
Michelin Challenge Design Web site and Michelin Challenge Design displays and events. XII. Contact Information
Michelin North America, Inc.
• For More Information please visit http://www.michelinchallengedesign.com or
• E-mail at [email protected]
• Michelin North America, Inc., of One Parkway South, Greenville, South Carolina 29615, is the Sponsor of
the Michelin Challenge Design.
• Publication: After the challenge has concluded, those chosen to display will be published on
www.michelinchallengedesign.com. A list of those chosen to display may also be obtained by sending a
self-addressed stamped envelope to Michelin Challenge Design, c/o Event Management Corp., 3150
Livernois, Suite # 175, Troy, MI 48083, to be received by February 1, 2013.
Copyright 2011 MNA Inc.
Rules and Procedures – Michelin Challenge Design for 2013